Lawnmowers are excellent machines that make landscaping quick and convenient for homeowners. Just like any other machine, they do require some maintenance from time to time to keep running at peak efficiency. One of the main things you’ll check and replace constantly throughout the lifespan of your mower is the oil. Knowing what kind of lawnmower oil to use is important to keep your mower in its best shape, and avoiding any unnecessary repairs.
How Do You Know What Kind Of Oil To Use?
There are different types of oil that work best at certain temperatures. However, your owner’s manual for your own lawnmower can provide the best kind for your specific type of equipment. Below are a few of the most popular types of oil used.
- SAE 30 is an oil used in warmer temperatures and the most common oil found in small engines.
- SAE 10W-30 has a fluctuating temperature range. This kind of oil improves cold-weather starting while running the risk of increasing oil consumption.
- Synthetic SAE 5W-30 is the best protection oil for all temperatures and uses less oil.
- SAE 5W-30 is great for very cold temperatures.
- Vanguard 15W-50 has a differing temperature range and is common in continuous-use occupations like commercial pressure washing.
Making The Decision
When deciding on a lawnmower oil, pick a high-quality detergent oil classified as “For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ” or higher and without any special additives. It’s important to know how much oil you will need to refill your tank when the time comes to change it. Lawnmower oil tank capacity for walk-behind mowers is typically fifteen to eighteen ounces. Change the oil after every fifty hours of use, or annually. While riding mowers oil tank capacity is typically forty-eight or sixty-four ounces, and the oil needs to be changed every one-hundred hours of use or annually.
Contact Chorbie For More Lawn Mower Tips Today
Giving your lawn mower the right oil will help it do its job as well as decrease any overtime wear and tear. If you have questions regarding lawn care equipment, Chorbie has experts on standby ready to assist you. Contact one of our team members now to get started!