Imagine enjoying a relaxing evening on your couch. You’re savoring your favorite beverage and binging your latest Netflix obsession or catching a game. Repeatedly, you hear a faint “scratching” sound coming from above. Over and over again the noise persists, leading you to lower the volume and listen more intently. Is it your imagination? Perhaps a branch is scratching against the roof? If you’re lucky, the answer to one of these questions is yes. However, there is another possible scenario that you must consider: rodents.
What Are The Signs Of A Rodent Problem?
Rodents are a nuisance that no one wants to encounter. Still, they will become an unavoidable problem for many homeowners. In fact, it is estimated that rodents will infest over 20 million homes each year, primarily during the winter months, and the key to both preventing and addressing such situations is learning how to recognize the signs. Scratching noises are a good indicator, but they are just one of the potential signs that a home has a rodent problem. Other possible warnings include:
- Droppings in the home or attic
- Visible evidence of chewing in areas such as the roofline or near A/C lines and units
- Damage to items in the attic such as wires or boxes
- Finding pockets of acorns, seeds, and similar items in the attic
- Greasy streaks around any holes in the walls
How To Get Rid Of Rodents In The Home
Once a rodent problem has been identified, it should be resolved as quickly as possible. Not only will the situation worsen if left unaddressed, but rodents can also carry diseases that make people sick, and their chewing and nesting can cause damage to both personal belongings and important structural or electrical elements of the home. Fortunately, there are many potential steps that may be taken to help rectify a rodent infestation and protect the home from future problems. These solutions include:
- Exclusion work to identify and block any potential points of entry into the home
- Eliminating access to the roof and attic by removing any low-hanging limbs nearby
- Traps, including snap traps or cage traps, to capture rodents currently in the home
- Placing bait stations throughout the home to help minimize the rat population
Using A Professional To Eliminate Rodents
While many of the above solutions can be implemented on your own, if you prefer to turn your rodent problem over to the professionals, Chorbie can help. Our team works by identifying the type of rodent infestation and examining your home to determine their locations and points of access. We can then take steps like patching up holes, eliminating entry points, removing nearby tree limbs and setting snap traps and bait stations. Together, we can not only rid your home of any existing rodents, but we can also prevent future infestations as well.